Years ago, I was the sales director for a home improvement firm, selling kitchen remodelling.
I had 10 area managers “under” me, and over 80 salespeople in total.
It was a terrible job.
The staff we attracted seemed to be largely incompetent, unmotivated and transient.
I spent my days continually recruiting, cajoling, reprimanding…it seemed like a lot of hassle for not enough reward.
Then there was the stigma around being in “sales”.
At parties my wife used to say, just tell them you’re a company director!
Back then I could only dream of the world we inhabit today, where truly unbelievable stuff happens:
- We can build a business earning £100k + a year without a single employee
- We find clients through simple engagement on social media
- We get to enrol them just by having a friendly conversation
- People regularly introduce clients to us without expecting to be paid
- Clients come find us, instead of us having to chase them round the block
- We can work with other influencers as affiliates, massively multiplying our reach
- We can create recurring revenue with an irresistible, value-packed subscription programme
And all that without using the S-word once.