I’m constantly amazed by Simian levels of stupidity, anger and aggression on social media.
Particularly from people who are trying to attract their ideal clients, presumably.
Here’s what’s not attractive, in a “magnetically drawing people towards you” sort of way:
- Dramatically stating your position on the latest political hot-potato and warning readers in advance that if they disagree with you, they can unfriend you
- Using the phrase “what you see is what you get with me” before announcing your outlandish, contrary opinion on a widely accepted issue
- Posting a screenshot of someone expressing a viewpoint or behaviour that “offends” you, and slagging them off remorselessly
- Filling your profile with consecutive begging posts about your favourite charity
- Foisting unverifiable pseudo-science on us, whilst claiming that you somehow “know” it’s true and don’t care if we believe you or not
- Tagging 98 of us in a pathetic spam offer-post that bears not the slightest resemblance to anything interesting
- Posting a link to a YouTube video without any kind of clue what’s in it or why we should watch it
- Telling us you’re having a “cull” of your friends, and we need to jump through some hoop you just made up if we are to survive it
- Hijacking someone else’s post with a loud and obnoxious rant that gets astonished responses and isolates you as a nut-job
- Posting “OMG I’m so sad/broken/scared/in pain”, hoping loads of us will say “Oh no, what’s up babe?” and then not replying at all
Here’s a much shorter list of what IS attractive, and WILL draw people towards you:
Offering value, support and expertise in a way that positions you as an authority in your field, as well as a smart, entertaining 3D-human.
That’s kind of it, really.
Love you lots