Asking around the JHM Facebook Group yesterday, we asked the question:
“How does the thought of serving a single client avatar make you feel?”
Here are some answers we got:
So, generally terrified.
Here are some ways not to get the shakes when shaking down an ideal client to focus on and attract:
- An avatar isn’t forever, it’s just for now
- It doesn’t preclude you from working with anyone else, anytime
- It’s more rewarding to nurture a community of people who share common challenges, hopes and dreams
- Knowing who you’re addressing, you can speak in one voice and have them all listen, react and respond
- You can dominate a niche serving a distinct client avatar more easily than trying to please everyone
Last but not least, specialists get paid more than generalists.
What’s not to love about niching down to a single client avatar?
PS – Here’s the original post on Facebook, where you can join in the fun.