Whenever you get the chance to exchange your services with another expert, how do you react?
It’s easy to come out on the wrong side of a cashless deal, so here are some tips to help make it work:
- Check it’s something you really need or want. Ask, would I buy this anyway?
- Is the other person equally skilled in their field as you are in yours?
- What does the value balance look like? Are their “rates” similar to yours?
- Always look for a fair exchange of effort. There’s no joy in working more or less than the other person
- Even if you don’t have a formal contract, agree by email what’s expected from each of you
- Try and get them to refer you to paying clients, and you them
Finally ask, would it be better if you pay for their services, and they pay for yours?