According to Buzzfeed, “Fear Of Missing Out is the anxiety created by the constant influx of information on social media informing you that your friends are doing something way more fun than you are.”
FOMO is the perfect way to kill productivity, because it sucks away your most precious resource: lifetime.
Here’s my 5 Secrets of Saying NO to FOMO:
- Be clear on your goals, and use them to filter incoming noise. Will this move you closer to your goals? If not, say NO.
- Focus on the big, important stuff. That’ll let you work on what matters in the time you have available.
- Ask “what’s the cost?”. What would you have to give up right now to watch that celebrity car-chase video instead?
- Turn stuff down. The easy way to make pain-in-the-ass obligations go away is if you don’t take them on in the first place.
- Learn there’ll always be more. The internet never closes. There’s always another deal. Forget it all for now, and get stuff done.
Anyway, if you miss out, so what? You have a great life, on your own terms.
Author: Jonny | FOMO Alert! Inner Circle is free till the end of this month…