One of my biggest productivity hacks is batching repetitive tasks into one session.
This works because it takes time to get set-up and rolling with any new job.
Think about the costs of commissioning a print run of a book. If you buy 500, it only costs 5x as much as 50.
Getting going is expensive, in time and energy.
Here are some things I batch:
- Alexa Flash Briefings – recording 30 at a time makes way more sense than one a day
- Client calls – 2 days a week back-to-back just flows nicely
- Social posts – two hours writing and scheduling covers the week’s “anchor” content
- Replying to emails – once a day stops them interrupting anything important!
- Sleep – 8 hours straight works better than nodding off every half-hour
Batching is about momentum, focus and economy of effort.
And because getting started is the hardest part, best keep it to a minimum, right?